I recently made food for a very lovely wedding reception….
I was asked for this recipe….
Someone I respect very much said I shouldn’t tell my secrets….
so don’t tell her!! 🙂
Bluewing’s Cheesey Hashbrowns
• 10 lbs. shredded hash browns (can be frozen or thawed)
• 1 stick butter (use the real stuff)
• 1 onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 sm. can (10-3/4 oz.) of each of the following condensed soups:
cream of chicken
cream of onion
cream of celery
• 2 c. sour cream
• 2 c. shredded cheese (I usually use Colby jack because that is what I always have, but sharp cheddar is tasty and pepper jack is yummy too!)
• 1 bag plain potato chips, crunched up (it’s a fun job!)
• Add-ins: (optional, of course!) chopped green onions, cooked bacon, chopped jalapenos, Loaded Baked Potato Dip Mix)
Melt butter in skillet over medium low heat and add diced onions. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I usually do about a half teaspoon salt and a teaspoon of pepper; I only put a small amount of salt in at this point because almost everything else we are adding has salt of varying degrees depending on brands especially!). Sauté for about 7-10 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Pour the hash browns into a large bowl and break up any clumps. Pour the melted butter/onions over the top of the potatoes. Add the soups and sour cream and mix together well. Stir in the shredded cheese and any add-ins. Pour into cooking pans or roaster that has been greased. Bake at 350˚ for about 2-3 hours; stirring about every half hour, making sure to scrape edges to incorporate crunchy brown bits. Sample for doneness by tasting; add salt and pepper if needed-don’t burn your mouth!) Sprinkle crunched up potato bits and cook an additional 10 minutes.
This makes a lot….but it freezes nicely!